The Wicked: Part 1 (Science-Fiction Project)

Hi, everyone! Guess what? Me and my friends were watching "The Wicked"🤯🤯🤯

Me and my friends at the cinema

For me, I rated The Wicked 9/10 since I really like musical! I really like the story between Elphaba and Glinda throughout the story. How their friendship was formed even though at first they didn't like each other but as the story rolled out, they're bonding and formed an unexpected friendship. I personally like Elphaba's character. Because through thick and thin, Elphaba stayed to be herself and not changing just because someone told her to. Even if being herself could made the world turns its back against her, she'd stay being herself.

Okay, moving on, we're going to talk about the elements of sci-fi in The Wicked Movie. There are three elements that I found, namely:

  1. Technology and Invention
  2. The future and the remote past
  3. Other places - planets, dimensions, etc.

I'm going to break down the explanation on why did I think those three are count as sci-fi elements in The Wicked movie.

1. Technology and Invention

Despite the movie being under the umbrella of fantasy, there are some technology in the movie that were shown. But in my opinion, the technology that were shown were classified as steampunk rather than futuristic technology. The first one, in the scene where Dr. Dillamond teach the new student of Shiz. It was shown that he was using some kind of a projector where the projector itself doesn't operated like the normal ones that we have in our era. The second one, the mechanism of the library of Shiz. There's one thing that caught my eyes, the spinning library. There's a part of the library where it could spin like a wheel, the students are looking like a hamster in a wheel when they wanted to find books in that part of the library. The third one, the train to the Emerald City. The train looks quite futuristic but also leaving some traditional part of the era on it, such as in the railings. The fourth one is the giant robot of Oz. This robot were shown where Elphaba was invited by Oz to his palace. In my opinion, most of the technology were shown in the movie are fall under the category of steampunk.

2. The Future and The Remote Past

In the beginning of the movie where we're introduced with Glinda, she brought us back to the past to tell us how she met Elphaba. In the middle of the movie, there were some scene where it showed that Elphaba could see through the past and the future. Though the movie doesn't involved using time machine and such at all, there's a scene where Oz showed Elphaba and Glinda the future of Emerald City through a miniature. The miniature was big enough to be put into a giant terrarium in Oz's palace.

3. The other places - planets, dimensions, etc.

The Emerald City is impossible to be built in real life. The whole city were made out of emerald where emerald itself is very rare and would be very high cost. I don't think all the emeralds in this world could build an entire city because of its rarity. The emerald is also known for its fragility and brittle nature that would made it harder to build something with it. 

Those are some of the elements of science fiction that I can spotted during the movie of The Wicked. I can't find more of the sci-fi elements because this movie was purely fantastical where it involves magic, sorcery and such. 

That is all from me, thank you for reading, ciao!

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚ ───



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 COMICS RECOMMENDATION FOR BEGINNERS

Makassar International Writers Festival 2024

History of Science Fiction